Monday, March 24, 2014

Words are hard

Over the past couple years I've written "first posts" to nearly a dozen blogs, but I never pulled the trigger due to a whole bucket of reasons.  So why now?  Well, I've moved to a new city where I know no one, and it's given me lots of time to contemplate...I've also exhausted all of my other excuses in the "better use of time" category.

Although I have no clear intent for this blog, one goal is to simply share aspects from my life that have been especially meaningful.  Having grown up as a very bashful, shy, and sheltered child, I've come to appreciate the unique and bizarre paths life takes us down. To anyone who happens upon this blog, my posts will probably sound mundane and generic, but maybe there will be a few people out there who will find some pleasure in what's shared.

One of the things that's kept me back from ever publishing that initial post is feeling an overwhelming pressure to make the first entry funny/meaningful/insightful/tasteful/interesting/thoughtful/appropriate...thankfully for all of us I've disbanded such ambitions.  And please, for our mutual well being, let's just accept the fact for now that this blog should never be used as an example of grammatical prowess.

I know this is a brief all important first post, but I'm hopeful that future posts will be a little more free flowing once I get passed this formidable first-post obstacle.  Here's to learning new things about a guy who's been sitting in a coffee shop for over an hour stressing over a four paragraph long blog post.

6 comments:

  1. I am exactly the same way with my blog. I feel like I need to be clever and wise all at once and it takes me forever to write one post, but I really like doing it anyway. I figure that if nobody really likes it, it's good for me anyway to put my thoughts into words. I just think of it as something that's good for me instead of something for others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate - My blog has fallen by the wayside, despite promises to return to it, precisely because I'm never sure of whether I'm being "interesting" enough.  Props to you for takign the leap anyway.  And I agree with Michelle - If it's nothing more than a journal of your thoughts, that's enough.  If some people happen to find some joy or benefit from your words, that's the icing on the cake.  Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blogging is really fun! I hope you enjoy it, and keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog should be for you and about you. And no one can do you better than you.

    (That's a lot of you's, huh?)

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete